Job opportunity (Full-time)
Early Childhood Educator
Since 1974, Moncton Headstart has been addressing the barriers that often make it difficult for disadvantaged children to succeed in school. As a registered Canadian charity providing high quality, evidence-based, early family intervention in support of vulnerable, high-risk children and their parents, we work with children from 2-5 yrs. of age to improve their outcomes.
If you want to help make a positive impact on vulnerable children and families in need through our very specialized programs and services then this could be the job for you.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, you will provide a safe, caring classroom and outdoor environment with proven strategies and practices that support the HighScope curriculum content (similar to the NB curriculum).
You will also provide appropriate supervision of children while ensuring a consistent, high-quality education and classroom experience.
Your main focus will be:
- Ensure strict adherence to New Brunswick Day Care Standards, Child Victims of Abuse Protocols and Well Being
- Implement the HighScope curriculum and work towards being a certified HighScope teacher through onsite training (provided by Headstart at no cost)
- Offer extended support for high-risk families as needed
- Modelling and/or coaching parents during classroom visits
- Provide support and act as a resource for parents regarding their child’s care and development as needed
- Ongoing routine documentation of classroom activities, incidents, and observations
- Communication with parents through Friday Phone Calls, introductory home visits and classroom visits (Days In)
- Communication with Child Protection/Social Development as required
- Ensure cleanliness, care, and safety of children
- Occasional bus supervision as needed
- Classroom cleaning/disinfecting, set up/tear down of learning environments
- Work collaboratively as a team with colleagues, families, and the community
- Ensure the use of effective communication with the team, colleagues, families, and the community
- Be professional, reflective, and intentional when working with children, the team, colleagues, families, and the community
- Serve as an advocate for the rights and needs of children
You will require:
- Bachelor, diploma or certificate in Early Childhood Education
- New Brunswick Learning Curriculums (Anglophone) Headstart provides services in English
- HighScope certification an asset
- First Aid certification
- Social Development Check
- Vulnerable Sector Check
- Minimum of two (2) years experiences in Early Childhood or related required
- Working with high risk and/or developmentally delayed children from two to five years of age an asset
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbally) Fluent English language
- Able to handle crisis situations
- Mentor and supervise people from varied cultural backgrounds, levels of literacy, and learning styles
- Flexible and adaptable to changing situations with organizational and effective planning abilities
Headstart offers competitive compensation, benefits, training and development.
If you are still reading… this may be a sign for you to apply and be part of an extraordinary team
of supportive and compassionate people! We care about children and families.